Monday, October 26, 2009

conQUFUcius

The Hong Kong Airport has become my second home these days. And much to my chagrin, so has China. BACK TO THE PRC...this time to a small city (town?) called Qufu. As the birthplace and death place of Confucius, Qufu has become a popular pilgrimage destination in China, overflowing with Chinese nationals who come to pay their respects to the famous philosopher.


Confucius overload soon became a reality after visiting the Confucius temple, Confucius mansion, Confucius forest, and then being force fed Confucius cuisine (which in case you were wondering, was strangely reminiscent of really bad Cantonese food).

Confucius' tomb

This trip turned out to be especially memorable, as I had the pleasure of experiencing a true local Chinese budget hotel. For those of you who have been to China, just use your imagination here to complete the visual. I'm still having nightmares about bedbugs and body lice.

Back in HK I'm trying hard to enforce a new rule at the office: for every trip to China, my boss owes me one trip to a resort. That seems only fair, that way I can recuperate from the squat toilets, unprovoked aggression, post-Chinese banquet food comas, and subsequently be more productive at the office.

No comments: