Friday, December 4, 2009

A Hazy Hiatus in Hong Kong

It was high time for a Hazy clan Asian invasion, and what better time to make an appearance in the Eastern Hemisphere than Thanksgiving? Peking turkey anyone?

The boys brought California weather with them (a rarity in HK!), which couldn't have been more ideal, but on the other hand did not help my plea for sympathy after so many months of complaining about my black lungs and overactive sweat glands. We kicked off the week with some time away from the crowds on the beaches of the south island, and then squeezed in a traditional Chinese foot massage, followed by viewing of the famous light show from the harbor.

While Steven and papa H jetted off to Beijing for some brief face time with the CCP in the middle of the week, Trent and I put in some face time in the Chinese abyss of all-you-can-buy material goods, also known as Shenzhen. After some very aggressive negotiations, we came away with some high quality tailor made threads for Trent that will no doubt ensure a couple of future modeling contracts. My personal Chinese tailor did it again (I just like saying that). With intentions of detoxifying Shenzhen out of our systems, we then took advantage of the perfect weather and set out on an epic hike up and over all of HK island. Gorgeous.


Of course food was yet again the main attraction. Our 4 day itinerary was conveniently planned around my favorite eateries in town. We celebrated our last night in HK at a private Chinese kitchen where I had to force feed the boys all of my favorite Shanghainese dishes - clearly I was the only one that got the Asian taste buds. But good news for me - that means I get 3 more servings of my favorite black sesame lotus soup.

After Saturday brunch and a walk through the central wet market, we boarded a junk boat and set off for Stanley where gorgeous weather, the absence of sky scrapers, a beach promenade, and some excellent Spanish food made us feel for a fleeting afternoon that we were in the Mediterranean. Absolutely lovely.



4 days of Chinese Thanksgiving definitely beats a 3 hour tryptophan-filled meal. Thanks boys!

1 comment:

kelsey said...

Oh how I miss the black sesame soup. Did I tell you I tried making some myself? Not quite the same thing.

I am still in HK mode and feel jealous of the family visit. Looks magical enough to hold you over til Christmas!