Sunday, May 9, 2010

Me, Yangshuo, and I

Back in China, and this time for fun. Come again?

Yes, I guess Mainland China does have some redeeming qualities - Yangshuo being one of them. Apart from the occasional solo business trip (when all logistics are pre-arranged) I had yet to travel alone for leisure in Asia and figured it was something I should cross off my list in attempt to legitimize myself as an Asian adventure traveler.


For those of you who aren't required to reference 4th tier Chinese cities and provinces on a daily basis at the office, Yangshuo is located close to the more well known city of Guilin, alongside the Li River in Guangxi province. This is code for Southwest China, about an hour's flight from Hong Kong. Whenever you see an image or photograph of a Chinese landscape, chances are it depicts a scene from Yangshuo. Stunningly gorgeous, charmingly small, and tastefully touristy - this was the perfect conquest for my first solo expedition.

I packed my fun bag full, leaving no time to realize that I was sans travel companion: Bike riding through the countryside, a bamboo raft ride down the Yulong River, village exploring, the famous Li River evening light show, and a very memorable Chinese cooking class.

Bamboo gondola ride

village houses

Chinese cooking class in a river front farmhouse

I even violated my vegetarianism to enjoy the fruits of my labor - definitely worth it!

Thanks, China. I take back the mean things I've said about you in the past - you helped me catch up on sleep, showed me some unforgettable sites, taught me how to cook some yummy Chinese dishes, and maybe even bumped up my traveler self esteem a few notches. First solo complete!

1 comment:

Laura said...

GORGEOUS.

On my destination list now. :-)