Few people know that "fragrant harbor, " I mean "harbour," is the English translation of "Hong Kong." Fragrant really is the perfect descriptor for this city, fragrances are both foul and floral, enticing and repelling. The most pervasive one being a unique combination of humidity and fish, with an occasional whiff of a tropical flower. Upon stepping off the plane after a weekend trip away from the city, I was immediately reminded that this city really does have its own signature scent. And scents trigger memories; my experiences here will indeed be multi-sensory.
But this fragrant harbour is much more than a memorable olfactory experience, it is a feast for the eyes as well. The skyline is stunning and easily trumps any other skyline I have ever seen. One of my guide books states, "HK Island's skyline at night yanks New York's shorts down and whups its butt, hard." I concur. But you have to see it to believe it, photographs just don't capture the full magnitude
Every night at 8pm, the city puts on a laser light show involving all of the major skyscrapers (each one is named) flashing lasers and lights synchronized with extra cheesy background music. Nightly, Visitors and locals alike pack into the prime viewing area in Tsim Sha Tsui to watch the world's most famous light show. Makes Vegas look like Disneyland.
Just across the harbor, Patricia and I ventured into the New Territories and discovered yet another blog-worthy harbor, although this one was made of sand: Clearwater Bay. Don't be fooled by the skyscrapers, crowds, and flashing lights - over 40 % of the land in HK is nature preserves, and a short bus ride will transport you to hidden white sand beaches, emerald blue water, and scenic jungle trails. Ok maybe my perspective was a little warped from living in such an intense urban environment, but it did give me hope that perhaps after a promotion I could relocate to a bungalow on a deserted beach all while still technically living and working in Hong Kong.
New Territories. HK Island in the background. Hazy as usual.
No comments:
Post a Comment