Sunday, November 2, 2008

No Market Slump Over Here

One of my favorite activities in HK is getting lost in the local markets; wet markets, flower markets, jade markets, bird markets, there is even a goldfish market. It is usually quite an overwhelming sensory experience - fruits and vegetables you have never seen before, unidentifiable parts of animals, and both very nauseating and refreshing aromas. My current Cantonese repertoire consists of "hello how are you" and "lower the price" which comes in handy during my tough market negotiations. I could probably devote an entirely separate blog just to my gastronomic adventures. And I must admit that I enjoy appreciating these items in a visual sense most of the time, when it comes to trying them I am usually a little less adventurous than I like to admit. But I do pat myself on the back for eating a whole rice sparrow (head, wings and all), fish bladder, and seaworms (on accident)

.

No comments: