Yes, Santa does come to China believe it or not - the Hong Kongers have been busy preparing for his visit since the minute Halloween ended. And if you can't have a white Christmas, why not go for a gilttery one? Christmas in China is more than just working overtime to supply Toys 'R Us - think massive Christmas light mural facades on the skyscrapers, Swarovski crystal snowflakes adorning the metro stations, and Christmas instrumental music on repeat in all public areas. Yet another excuse to eat and shop, Christmas in Hong Kong is a blowout commercial extravaganza. Take note that during this time of year shopping malls should be avoided at all costs - unless you want to risk being stampeded to death (see visual aid). Massive, sparkly Christmas installations are the only acceptable norm during this time of year, but unfortunately real Christmas trees are hard to come by, as we are far from evergreen land (see Hello Kitty Christmas tree below for one excellent alternative).
Christmas shopping crowds - yup, don't complain about not being able to find a parking spot
The borderline tacky, slightly overboard Christmas décor in HK started looking classier and classier once I witnessed the mainland’s interpretation of appropriate Christmas ornamentation. I think they somehow got a hold of our leftover decorations from the 80's and then added rainbow Christmas lights to everything. But I give them props for trying.
If they go this all out for Christmas, I can't wait to see what's in store for Chinese New Year.
No comments:
Post a Comment