Yet another food-related activity, Marie and I woke up at 5am on Saturday morning to experience the famous Tokyo Fish Market. The biggest Fish Market in the world, this market definitely lived up to all the hype surrounding it. Scared that I would be overcome with the nauseating smell of seafood, I really should have been more concerned about being run over by the swarms of speeding fish-transporting tractors. We witnessed the tail end of the tuna auction featuring some of the biggest fish I have ever seen, then got lost among the never-ending aisles of mostly unidentifiable marine creatures. Our early morning run-in with half of the ocean was then followed by a large (non-seafood) breakfast and blissful afternoon wandering through the Imperial Gardens.
After 48 hours of non-stop action in the city, by Sunday we were all feeling the itch to wander outside of the city walls and see what else Japan had up its sleeve. I was set on going to a traditional onsen, or Japanese bath, so Marie (and our new friend Reza) maneuvered us through the intimidatingly complex train system, leading us to Hakone - a beautiful lake-front village famous for its onsens, lakes, sulfur rocks, and stunning views of Mt. Fuji. Highlights included a gondola ride to the famous sulfur mountain complete with a taste-testing of sulfur eggs (and a siting of a sulfur egg hello kitty), and then spending the evening soaking it all in (literally and figuratively) in some lovely Japanese mineral baths. Yes we had to get naked, and yes they separated the men and women, and YES I loved it. No shame no gain. Please see attached photo for potentially incriminating visual aid that is necessary for appreciating the memorable experience just described.Ahhhhh Japan. Was hard to say soyanara to such a great country and such a good friend. Marie - can we do a one month exchange program?? Hazy-san will definitely find an excuse to be back sometime in the near future, and for a lot more than just the sushi....
1 comment:
This post deserves a comment. KK, all I can say is WOW. I can't even begin to imagine how sneaky you were in getting that photo. "Excuse me ladies---CLICK" You're one of a kind. Glad Tokyo treated you well.....
Post a Comment