Boracay, Philippines
Just an island hopper flight away from Manila, Boracay is one of the most famous islands in the Philippines, well known for its powder sand beaches, spectacular diving, and untainted natural settings. On assignment to do an FF&E and Environmental Audit at one of Shangri-La's newest resorts, I got to spend quality time in the desalination plant and on the private white sand beach. Don't fret hotel guests, I'm here to make your villa as functional, pretty, and eco-chic as possible. I quickly learned that putting in a 15 hour work day is actually enjoyable when you can start the day with a swim in the ocean and finish it with a candlelit beachfront dinner with lovely colleagues. Send me back to Boracay anytime.
24 hours to recollect myself in Hong Kong and then back in the Singapore Airlines friendly skies en route to the Maldives. Famed for its rare underwater beauty and breathtaking beaches, the Maldives is known as one of the most exclusive resort destinations out there (and exclusive I felt), and for those of you trivia buffs out there, also the smallest country in Asia. Truly a one of a kind and magical place with some of the most stunning natural surrounds I have ever seen. The sun is stronger, the ocean bluer, the people friendlier, and the resorts more lavish.
The highlight of the trip, and potentially the highlight of my whole career thus far, was when I was asked as part of my environmental assessment to go scuba diving, underwater camera in hand, to document the marine conditions surrounding the resort. Wait a second, that's the kind of job that you read about in some cheesy magazine article that sounds completely falsified: Dream Job #234 - Underwater-Hotel-Environmentalist. I think that's what I told my 3rd grade career counselor I wanted to be when I grew up. Completely unreal (the experience and the marine life), best described as an out-of-body experience. A little concerned that my career has peaked way too early.
It just so happened that my trip overlapped with the official opening of the hotel, so I had the privilege of witnessing a lovely Maldivian ceremony all within the backdrop of a new resort groomed to perfection. 48 hours was nowhere near enough time on this island paradise, but it ended on a high note with a truly spectacular sunset, mango mojito [virgin] in hand. This trip will no doubt be one of the highlights of my 2009.
I think I might have just found my Shangri-La

1 comment:
this is beyond insane. how was it that you were not more excited when i saw you in person?????
Post a Comment